These are some
of our most frequently asked questions.
If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to
- What is DSB broadband Internet?
- What does an always on service mean?
- Do I need a computer?
- Can I watch my television and use my telephone while using DSB?
- Do I have to use DSB as my Internet Service
- Is it possible to prevent my children
from accessing inappropriate material on the web?
- What about security?
- How can I get DSB broadband Internet?
- Can I use DSB as part of a home network?
- What times are defined as ‘off-peak’?
What is DSB broadband Internet?
DSB broadband Internet is a high speed connection to the internet which is always
on. As DSB is supplied via a satellite link, it has absolutely no effect on your
existing telephone system. DSB offers a choice of connection speeds from 256k
to 1Mb and 2Mb. The word broadband means that a greater amount of information
can pass through a ‘fatter’ cable to speed the delivery of heavy data,
such as trailers or music files. Standard dial-up connections are sometimes described
2. What does an ‘always on’ service
‘Always on’ means that broadband is a permanent connection to the Internet. A broadband
connection lets you access the Internet from the minute you switch on your computer.
With broadband, you don't need to specifically ‘dial up’ or log on
like a standard modem connection. You can control outgoing and incoming access
to your broadband connection if you install personal firewall software.
3. Do I need a computer?
Yes you do. Minimum requirements are Windows 95 or above. For Mac Users the minimum
is OS 9 and above. Both types of computer will require a network card.
4. Can I watch my television and use my telephone
while using DSB?
Yes. Our service does not tie up your TV connection or phone
5. Do I have to use DSB as my Internet Service Provider
No. However, as we supply Internet connectivity, web space and email facilities,
you would not need an alternative supplier.
6. Is it possible to prevent my children from accessing
inappropriate material on the web?
We would always recommend that parents/carers take appropriate precautions for
children using the Internet. Packages such as Cyber Patrol are available online
at reasonable prices.
7. What about security?
We make every effort possible to keep our network secure.
However, we do recommend that you use personal ‘firewall’ software
to secure your own connection to the internet. You are responsible
for your own security while online.
8. How can I get DSB broadband Internet?
Fill in our online registration form and you will be contacted within 5 working
days. Alternatively, call us on 0800 093 7707 and we will be happy to discuss
9. Can I use DSB as part of a home network?
Yes, it is possible to connect DSB broadband internet through
a home network. However this is not a service we offer and
if you do wish to connect in this way, it is at your discretion.
10. What times are defined as ‘off-peak’?
Our off-peak times are 7pm until 7am during the week and 7pm Friday night until 7am Monday morning at the weekend. These are the times when the DSB HomeUserPlus and DSB BusinessMini plans will have the faster quoted bandwidth.